Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Favorites

In keeping with the alliteration theme, going to try to start a Favorites Fridays.  Moments, items, books, whatever is on my mind for the week.

Seeing the first lightening bugs of summer

Quiet early mornings while the family is in bed.  Just me, the dogs, the guinea pig, and good coffee.
My new VT Mickey t-shirt from a student.  Oh so soft, oh so sweet.


Watching my daughters' eyes fill with emotion as their school years ended.  As a mom, it told me that they had a good experience, and made me proud that they feel so deeply.  As a teacher, it made me remember why I go to work everyday.


Four day weekends as a family.


Watching the soon to be high schoolers play in the rain at their party.  May childhood live forever.


Cranking up my summer playlist on my ipod.  Eclectic mix, to be sure.  But it captures the feelings for me.  Some highlights:
The Wall by Pink Floyd,
It's the End of the World by R.E.M.
Drift Away by Percy Sledge,
 Knee Deep and Toes by Zach Brown Band,
 All Summer Long by Kid Rock,
Summertime, Kenny Chesney and Will Smith's versions.
Smile by Uncle Kracker.
 Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show.  
In the Summertime by Rayvon/Shaggy
Beach Music Medley by The Embers
One Love by Bob Marley
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride from the Lilo and Stitch Soundtrack




That moment, when all you want to do is cry.
 When you feel defeated on all sides.
 When you feel like you can't do anything right.
When it seems that no matter how hard you try to do what is right, how hard you work to make things right, how emotionally invested you are, everything you touch seems to go bad. 
 When you are wondering if it's even worth trying anymore, and you can't see the rainbow. 
And the song you need to hear comes on the radio. 
For me, it was Good Life by One Republic.  That's our Disney song of the year thanks to the commercial.  It even makes little princess cry.  And it reminds me that even if it's feeling "hopelessly" I have a lot to be thankful for. (Don't you think the splatter paint for the cover looks like the Cinderella castle?)



Dreaming of this camera.  It's still a very, very, very big dream.  One day, sweet NIkon 5100, you will be mine.  Maybe in 10 years. HA!




Finally getting to read Jodi Picoult books.  I've read these two in the last month, and really "enjoyed" them.  The topics aren't really "happy-go-lucky" - a school shooting and Asperger's syndrome.  But I really enjoy getting into the minds of characters, and Picoult does that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment